Saturday, December 11, 2010

ARTIST: Katy Atchison



An interview with fellow SF Etsy Artist

How do you feel when you are starting a new project?
Excited! I’m wildly animated about some of my work. When I get an idea...even if I’m at work...I have to sketch it out. `

Then, I’ll think of little captions and I’ll giggle to myself when I think of something really funny that I know will transfer well into a piece of art.

Lately I've been doing a lot more hand drawn art and reproducing the art for cards and printed material. It's been exciting to see some of my art translate into a greeting card.
here are a couple links to feature:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61006615/fun-and-colorful-greeting-cards-set-of-5?ref=em

http://www.etsy.com/listing/63882950/giraffe-birthday-blank-greeting-card


2. What do you do for marketing your products?
I for SURE don’t do it alone!

Local businesses in San Francisco have embraced my art, and over the last few years my art has been up on a regular bases because of three shops that really believed in my art & crafts and wanted to feature me in their store. It’s inspiring and exciting to know that there are so many small businesses out there offering artisans the chance to showcase their art. I think you’ll find that the most hip of clothing stores and restaurants have teamed up with a local artists. And it’s not hard! - all you have to do to get in...is put yourself out there...they help you market – you help them market their store and everyone wins...even the customer! Because they end up with something that unique and original!

The shops that support me are listed here on my Facebook Group Page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=58486273605

Additionally, I’m usually in at least one show a month here in San Francisco...so I mostly market those shows or events via Facebook Invites to my fans or by posting flyers about shows around my office.

I started creating Facebook contests to try and get some more fans of my art through social networking...

It’s always exciting when the winner receives their art in the mail and gets really excited about it. I love getting the thank you cards and the emails of excitement.

3. How did creativity play a role in you childhood?
My dad was a production potter when I was growing up and my mother did a lot of woven textile crafts that we sold at craft shows on weekends. There was always something creative happening when my sister and I were growing up and it was definitely a team effort.
Some nights, my dad would be making pottery at the wheel, my mom would be sponging pots and my sister and I would be working on loading a kiln for a show coming up the next weekend.

Also, my Grandmother Atchison, who just recently passed away, was a very well respected decorative painter. She taught adult classes in the East Bay when I was little and also sold her things at local businesses. Her painting studio was something I coveted. I remember just wanting to get lost in there – like a kid in a candy store.

It was at 8 that I finally KNEW that I was going to be an artist when I grew up...later, I decided to develop a career in Graphic Design and do my art on the side. The balance is working for me right now. I’m challenged at work and I’m able to make art for the fun of it. I’m able to use my skills as a Graphic Designer in my artwork also. It’s a creative path that has made me feel really fulfilled and happy.

Art is in my blood and on my mind literally all day everyday.

4. What kinds of projects do you work on during your craft nights in your studio?

Craft Nights! Ooooo! So so so fun!

Well, now that you have my background...it’s probably clear that I can pretty much do anything crafty. I’m still a little “beginner” at knitting...but my craft nights tend to be more a grouping of artists who want to sit and gossip about life’s little challenges more than they are about a certain craft project.

I have a 5’ x 7‘ closet in my apartment that is filled literally to the top with art supplies. People who know of this little gem sometimes come just to look at my “stuff” in there and tinker around for a while with my vintage button collection or my features. :) I try to do a small project during that time that won’t take up too much space and won’t take longer than 2 hours to make.

Sometimes, I’ll even have cooking classes. I had a class at my space that was about how to make mini-pies in mason jars. It was SO fun and we all left with a few pies to bake at home. People still talk about that one.

5. How would you feel if art was suddenly banned from your life?

Well, I’d wonder why the world wanted to be so boring first...then I’d probably cry a bit. *tears (sad face)

photo credit to J. Astra Brickmann http://www.flickr.com/people/musicpurr.

##

No comments: