Wednesday, July 14, 2010

ADVICE: Healing Practice


QUESTION: Hello Lisa and/or Sheila! I find myself doing lots of thinking lately. I'm starting to think about ways to be able to use my interests, skills, talents, etc. to work more independently...ideally, I'd love to be my own boss, so I'm thinking and brainstorming like crazy about ways to do that.

So I've got a question. I've had a passion for crystals and really, many different aspects of metaphysics/ spirtual healing/ the occult, etc. for most of my life. I'm considering the idea of trying to be some kind of independent energy healer with as many skills as I can gather. But my fear has been that there are many people with this interest, in learning how to help people heal, and maybe not a lot of people actually accessing these services once they are learned.

I'm trying to get some kind of realistic idea, to the degree that that's possible, about what I can expect, even though I know it depends on so many factors. Still though, is there anything you can tell me about this path in general that might be helpful? I'm thinking about building a practice and seeing clients regularly and just wondering what that is like. I don't know what it means to have realistic expectations about being able to make a living and whatnot. Not sure if it's realistic to fantasize about not having a boss or to pursue this is as a career/vocation. My interests are primarily reiki and crystal healing, btw. but I could easily branch out from there if there were needs in the community that I could respond to.

I hope you can understand where I'm coming from and thank you so much for anything you might like to share about this.

Sincere thanks.

ANSWER: Hello - Thanks for writing to us, we are glad to share our experiences with you.

I completely understand that it is difficult to work under someone else's orders, and that is why I never felt comfortable in any other type of job. Now that I am working for myself, I would never have it any other way. As my own boss, I am actually inspired to go to work and do the things I want to do.

Is it possible to make a living in the field of metaphysics? Yes. Sheila, Derrick, and I are currently working full time at Satin Crystals, and it is our only means of income. My Mother lives off of her business in Orange County, and she works out of her house. Of course she also travels and teaches around the world when classes are arranged. We all work very hard, but we are passionate about what we do so it's worth it.

There are a few of my parents' students who have actually become full time healers and teachers after taking our Certification Classes. My uncle in India was seeing 4-5 hypnotherapy clients a day for awhile, and now he has limited it to 1 per day. Prior to taking my Dad's classes, he had no experience or knowledge in Hypnotherapy and Healing. This is the case for some other students as well.

As you said, there are many factors as to how your practice will succeed. There are other students who learn the techniques and don't really use it.

I would definitely recommend you begin your sessions as a supplementary thing, and see how it grows from there. If you are passionate and dedicated, you will see results.

It took Satin Crystals 9 years to grow into what we are now. You start off doing what you need to do to get things going, and then you slowly alter that so that you are doing the things you WANT to do to get results. All of us had other jobs when we first started, and then transitioned into this work full time.

To be in business for yourself, you have to be comfortable with a flexible income. There may be times that you will not be paid, so it's good to have a little bit of cushion/savings beforehand if possible. I had to invest a lot of my savings to grow my business as well.

There is a lot more that can be said, so feel free to ask me personally the next time you are in.

But it's very good to hear that you are heading to this path!

Lisa
www.satincrystals.com

##

No comments: